another perfectly good motorcycle ruined.......

Saturday, 25 August 2012

boxer racer project

stick with me on this, it's hard to explain, i've fitted the new spring's added the oil and used the spring compressor i made up to re-fit the original fork caps and circlips, the top photo isn't very interesting i admit, but, here we go, the 10mm 'coned' bolt is the spring pre-load tensioner, i turned up six spacers, four 10mm and two 5mm, the 'coned' bolts are 30mm long, this gives me six different pre-load options, on a dummy run, [the bike off the stand, up on the bench, me sitting on it and the front brake applied, two 10mm spacers, 15 weight oil and 20mm slugs], tie-wrap to measure the travel] the front end felt a hundred times better, got to try it on a racetrack to be sure, but, we've lost the 120mm travel, the front end diving like a leed's united player and got a nice progressive feel, the springs aren't rifling now and i reckon we've got a much more planted front end for less than fifty quid, result, got a replacement rotor for the venhill throttle too, the domino is good but just needed two-turns to get full throttle, really heavy on the wrist, so, re-fitted the venhill and set it up, still heavy compared to the domino, but the venhill is quater-turn compared to the domino two-bites-at-the-cherry..........

2 comments:

  1. Very swish mate, the wee tapered hex head looks downright sexy to . . . diving like a Leeds player, fucking hilarious Timothy. On yer bike lad !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. Giving me some ideas for when I get my lath up and running. Years ago I modified a Honda 750 Supersport front end for my CB 500 "Cafe Racer". Mainly to gain the nice hardchrome legs that the 750 had. A lot of machine work and a bit of welding...but ended up with a much better ride. I'm reliving my youth and building a CB 550 version this time around. Might have to see if I can come up with adjustable pre-load this time around...

    ReplyDelete