another perfectly good motorcycle ruined.......

Thursday, 11 March 2010


50cc kreidler racer.

from the racical-ducati blogspot, mint.

working with dangerous has made me tight, i'm so economical now it's unbelievable, i have to remind him that i'm only making a cardboard cut-out out of an old bran flake box and that i haven't even cut any stock yet, as you can see from the cardboard template it works, i've missed the corner off it, i chain drilled the aluminium stock to shape praying i didn't waste any of our scrapyard sourced dural.........

.......and cleaned up on the miller, the rad's are hand filed, [look closely, the marking -out lines are still visible], lot's still to do to complete, 'mohican' on top needs shaping, centre axle hole needs boring, windows milled and fly cutting to finish, wheel spacer to make, bracket is chunky enough to counterbore mounting holes for socket head allen bolts to flush mount caliper, got to drill torque arm hole, make a torque arm, surface grind disc and mount to wheel, make rearsets, make brake line and make sure it fucking works.

after we stripped the old layers of paint off the racer tank we discovered holes in the seams where the condensation in the tank had lay for years slowly eating the steel away, basically, it was only the generous layers of paint which was keeping the petrol in, not good, kev tigged up the biggest of the holes but reported that the metal was really thin and recommended we use a repair kit to make sure it was fuel-proof, sent off for a kit from frost auto supplies after a chat with one of the old geezers who restores classic cars in the village, 'can't go wrong with it youth if you follow instructions', i'm still sceptical, i've followed the cleaning and acid etching stages to the letter, got to let tank dry out completely before adding the sealant, stay tuned, i'll let you know if i'm going to be scouring e-bay, or, if it's any good.