another perfectly good motorcycle ruined.......

Saturday, 3 April 2010


easter sunday is the day when we celebrate jesus rising from the dead, jesus is the son of god and gave his life to die for our sins, happy easter everybody, let's have a paaaarttty!

bratstyle japanese sr500, stunning, set me off now, as if i don't have enough grief with the fucking mz without thinking about another project already..............

still can't afford my tyres, it's the weekend, suppose we ought to get the rearsets sorted then, bit of stock out of the stash and measure up, this is the top mounting bracket half way through machining, the two 'forks' in the centre are to fit around the frame section to stop the rearsets 'yawning' when my weights on them, the left side is finished, just needs cleaning up, right side still to be milled.

dangerous left at 5pm leaving me to finish milling the mounting to shape, i really didn't want to cock this up, for one, it's a lot of hours work and also it's the bank holiday weekend and the scrappies are shut and i haven't got another piece of stock for the job, i was taking a 'thou off at a time at the end just to be safe.

the 'top' mounting bracket bolted to the frame, the bracket is a nice tight fit around the frame and is secured with a 6mm countersunk set screw, i drilled and tapped both ends 8mm to mount the rearset plates off, this was easier said than done, the brackets about 300mm long and i had to use the vice off my pillar drill and drop the bed of the miller down as far as it would go to give enough room to drill it, then i had to unbolt the head of the miller and slide it forward to centre the bit, pain in the arse.

drilled the swingarm spinde and tapped it out 8mm for the bottom rearset mounting then set about making a cardboard template to get the basic shape and trace it onto the stock ready to cut out.

10mm cast aluminium plate, i'm using cast so it snaps off when i fall off rather than dural which is more malleable and may bend the frame rather than snapping on impact, the mountings for the master cylinder and reservoir will be bolt on items, [hard to explain, i will post photo's when done], the peg's are represented by the socket head bolt, i got my paddock stand roughly in position to represent where my feet would fall and made the bracket to suit, chain drilled the stock to rough shape and onto the miller to clean it up, we have to make two of these for when i crash so we can replace them, good job really because i made two the same and then realised that i need to leave some stock on the bottom run on the gear change side so we can modify the throw on the gear lever to give a more positive change, mz racers wreck loads of gearboxes because of the length of the actuating arm, studying the ducati again i noticed how they got over the problem of having the long actuating arm and hopefully i can preserve the 'box from damage due to sloppy changes.