another perfectly good motorcycle ruined.......

Friday, 7 May 2010


had a stroke of luck this week, sometimes the answer comes to you when you least expect it, doing a job at work this week, assembling a big off-shore valve for a petro-chemical rig and one of the filters was damaged when i opened the packaging, quick measure up with my trusty steel rule and realised this little beauty might be suitable to use on the project, order new part and stash this one in my bag, [it was going to go in the bin anyway, i'm doing my bit to save the planet so fuck you!], bit of 'massaging' to remove the damage, cut a couple of rubber packers from dangerous's inner-tube and clamp on with a nice stainless jubilee clip, perfect, stop any ingress of stones and grit straight down my inlet port and looks cool to boot.

like i said last night not the most interesting of pictures to publish but here's the story, the mz racers use the german pvl race ignition, here's mine mounted to the frame, i made two aluminium spacers from 15mm round stock drilled 6mm clearance, [or 6 commer 3 if you really need to know], i lined the ignition unit up with the dropping frame rail , drilled the left hole and bolted it up, then spun the unit 90 degrees to it and spotted through, realised that i needed to take 1mm off right hand mounting for earth lead so it bolts up square, took it all apart and modified right mounting, drilled frame and bolted up, shit, the holes are too big in the ignition unit and may pull through when i tighten it up, make an ally spacer fom a piece of scrap so it bolts up square, nylock nuts inside frame so it doesn't shake loose, to do this i have to take the rearsets off, i keep getting asked why it's taking so long to get the bike done, hope this goes some way to explain.

searched high and low through my spares for a suitable gear lever but came up with nothing suitable, the mz racers wreck gearboxes at an alarming rate so decided just to make one out of an off-cut of 8mm stock, usual thing, cardboard template, chain drilled to rough shape, miller to clean up, dress with file and wet and dry to finish, the knurled peg is a spare off the sporty, too long too look good but made for accurate changes, going for conventional one-down, four-up shift pattern actuated by 10mm rod, i'm ok with righthand gearchange but left-hand is no good after too many years on jappers, beemers, sporties and ducati's so not going to risk race pattern.