Ess-Rad


Trawling evil-bay one evening and a Suzuki gsx-r 600 srad caught my eye, I popped it into my ‘watched’ list along with all the other stuff that I stick in there usually after a bottle of wine and with the cold light of day, sobriety and considered thoughts is usually ‘unwatched’ and discarded into the digital ether with a press of a button and never a second thought. I kept returning to this bike though, an almost standard, unmolested, low-mileage machine, free from the usual tat of iridium screen/ obnoxiously loud pipe/ mini indicators/ ‘shorty’ levers etc. [note to self, are you the same bloke who has cut up a whole raft of motorcycles without a single, backward glance? You two-faced hypocrite!]
   So, apart from a blue screen [bad] and h.e.l stainless brake lines, [ok, there blue so I’m going to swap them for black] it’s a 22 year old bike, three previous owners and a startling 12,000 miles on the clock from new! It needs a gentle massage, I’ve already fitted a new clear screen and  new battery, I need a couple of new front indicators as both are slightly marked but you know I’m ocd and can’t live with what a lot of people would just dismiss. The bike is a credit to the former owners, especially Ruben the guy I bought it off, it lived in his flat alongside his R1 and he was genuinely gutted to see it go due to a lack of use.
   I had originally been looking for a tatty srad project to hack into an endurance racer replica when this turned up but it really is too nice to introduce mr hacksaw to so I’m into a couple of more potential ‘victims’
  As a side-note, this is the first aluminium framed machine I’ve owned, the first jap four cylinder bike since my 750 Honda SOHC fatracker [sic]  and I was going to say the first RWU fork machine for years. And then? I looked at the Moto Guzzi.....................................................



Comments

  1. early carbie SRADs are VERY nice, but make mine a 750.... and before thinking about one I would have to finish the 89' GSXR 750/850 street racer project.
    Any way, I do the normal vintage racing thing on a CB500/4 and others, not the V7 endurance series. I like to ride bikes i built, developed and fu^%ed around for ages, not "just add fuel" racers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I get where your coming from, as you know I’ve spunked a lifetime and a small fortune building bikes but took a long time to realise that if you are racing it’s not really about how shiny or smart a bike is but how fast you go, if you worry about scratching it you are never going to use it to push it to its full potential or yourself for that matter, I think it’s a bit dismissive to slag off anyone who races as ‘just add fuel’ anyone who sticks their head above the parapet and races deserves the utmost respect. Racing is an expensive, dangerous hobby, you can end up broke, suffer life changing injuries or dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, it must be my low score at the TOEFL or something... wasnt even talking about ANYBODY, just saying that i prefer riding racing bikes i built. Dismissing or slagging other people who race? not me...peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mate, no offence due, forget the toefl bollocks, it’s me who comes across as aggressive looking back at my reply and I apologise if it comes over that way, I was just trying to say that the only way a lot of people can race is by using a production based bike and modifying it to suit their needs and budget, for most people this is their way into racing. Peace to you too mucker, regards, tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. agreed, and indeed the guzzi V7 endurance grid is quite full, buy the bike, put the gorgeous Guareschi kit on it and youre ready to rock. I need to spend 400 hours building a racer to bond with it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts