Summer of Soul


 I’d heard rumours of this film via the Soul-Source blog, in 1969 there was a series of soul music concerts over a period of six weekends in NY City, everyone who mattered was in attendance, this people was the biggest ever happening ever, from the same year as the Woodstock festival happened there was probably the greatest ever line up of black artists performing a free concert in a park, in Harlem. I had to travel to see this film, a mid-week showing, there were twelve, [count them] other people in the cinema, but, for one hour and fifty seven minutes I was lost, tears ran down my face and I had to wait to exit because I was stunned by what I’d witnessed……..

Comments

  1. I saw the director/editor interviewed on one of the U.S. Sunday Morning Magazine TV Shows. The raw footage was in storage for decades as the cinematographer looked for a way to distribute it. I'm waiting for it to come to town. From the clips I saw it looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So not that good then Tim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMD, you won’t be disappointed I promise! 1969 was a pivotal year in history and the film blends in aspects of what was happening during this momentous year, the Vietnam war, the moon landings, the assassination of JFK, Martin Luther King and John Kennedy, the race riots and the political unrest, it was all a very different picture in Haight-Ashbury where the hippies were wearing flowers in their hair and turning on, tuning in and dropping out! Jan, let’s just say that often overused word, Essential!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts